#800000 size=3Dear ALL:

How are you? I hope you and your study are well. I am sorry that i do not send this through my email address because I now spend most of my time for my work. Also, i have a bit time to go to the internet coffee at the outside--that is, this is my workplace email address.

The reason why I forward this is not only to say “Hello or Dear “but also to ask for help from you. Before telling you what help i need, i would like to introduce what i am working right now. I am working for an organization--called STAR Kampuchea--which is working on strengthening democracy by strengthening civil society.

I am working in “Volunteer Action for Cambodia " (VAC)  which is one of the main programmes of STAR Kampuchea.

The program “Volunteer Action for Cambodia” #ff6600(VAC) is organized by #ff6600STAR Kampuchea, a Cambodian non-governmental organization. It is our mission to build up democracy and to strengthen civil society in our country. VAC was established in December 2004 and is run by Cambodian volunteers.

#008000The VAC program invites volunteers from all over the world to work with Cambodian non-governmental organizations. The idea is to bring foreign volunteers to Cambodia to exchange cultural and work experience and to contribute new impulses and fresh ideas to both Cambodian and the volunteers’ home society. VAC is designed primarily for college students and recent graduates. We help the volunteers to find a suitable placement and to organize their stay in Cambodia. The length of stay depends on the volunteer’s interests and varies between one week and three months. To gain a deep insight into the organizations and their activities a minimum stay of three weeks is recommended.

VAC works together with the 39 partner organizations of STAR Kampuchea in seven provinces. Among them there are international NGOs, trade unions and local organizations in remote areas. Depending on the volunteer’s interests, placements are possible in many different fields, such as advocacy training, HIV/AIDS, Health, Rural Development, Human Rights Protection, Legal Rights Work and Environmental Issues.

#008000For example: an Australian volunteer supported the STAR Kampuchea Advocacy Action Program and its partner organizations with the Workshop “The World Trade Organisation’s impact on farmers” in December 2004 in Phnom Penh and published extensive documentation of the discussions. A second volunteer assisted the STAR Kampuchea Advocacy Capacity Building Program by conducting training courses about the Cambodian Constitution and about Grassroots Advocacy.